Khurshid may talk to SG before govt decides
New Delhi: Newly-appointed Law Minister
Salman Khurshid on Tuesday did not rule out talking to Solicitor
General Gopal Subramanium before the government takes a final
decision on his resignation.
"Why should I not talk to anyone...but as a lawyer, I must
say I have not received the brief. I will have to go through
the issue," Khurshid told reporters here.
He was asked whether he would speak the Solicitor General
on the issue.
Terming the entire episode as "unfortunate", he said he
will first go through the entire details and the "various
versions" available before deciding on any thing.
He said he knew Subramanium well and termed him as an
Subramanium, who has been appearing for the government in
the 2G related cases in the Supreme Court, said it was
"unfair" that the Law Ministry chose to appoint Rohington
Nariman as counsel for Union of India to appear in a PIL by an
NGO against Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal without his consent.
Slighted by the appointment of the counsel without taking
him into confidence, Subramanium had sent his resignation to
the Prime Minister on Saturday.
Asked about his priorities in the new office, Khurshid
said it was too premature to comment on the issue.
He said he would soon meet outgoing Law Minister M
Veerappa Moily to discuss various programmes initiated by him
in the ministry.
He said while the overall point-of-view of the government
has been laid out, he would work on the issue further.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened