Khurshid rejects Team Anna`s demand for SIT probe
New Delhi: Law Minister Salman Khurshid on Wednesday rejected Team Anna`s demand for etting up a Special Investigation Team to probe corruption charges against Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and 14 Union ministers saying the government was not going to "cow down".
"We are not going to cow down...," Khurshid said reacting to Team Anna member Kiran Bedi`s demand for an SIT to probe the charges against Singh and the other Union ministers including himself.
On allegations levelled by Team Anna members, Khurshid said, "I don`t think we can have media trials... Street trials for anybody, forget about ministers and certainly Prime Minister. We are in a country where rule of law prevails.
"Some people have gone to the Supreme Court...So nobody stops them from going to institutions that are available," he said adding it appeared that Team Anna`s strategy was to "keep accusing you of all kind of things" if Lokpal Bill is not passed.
Reacting to the Law Minister`s comments, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal said his reaction was as if the accused himself was ruling out the investigation.
"The accused himself is declaring that there will be no investigation. Is this the kind of democracy we want?" he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead