Khurshid writes to Clinton seeking extradition of Headley, Rana
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has written to his US counterpart Hillary Clinton requesting for extradition of Pakistani-American LeT terrorist and Mumbai terror accused David Headley and his accomplice Tahawwur Hussain Rana.
Khurshid has written the letter to Hillary for extradition of the two before their sentencing there in January, official sources said on Saturday.
According to sources, India is hopeful that the US would take a favourable decision on its request which was sent in the first week of November. New Delhi is awaiting a response from Washington.
During her visit here last month, US Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman had said India`s request for extradition of Headley was under consideration and a decision could be taken soon.
Though, India had limited access to 52-year-old Pakistani-American Headley, who recced the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack targets for the LeT but it has so far not been able to quiz his Pakistani-Canadian businessman friend Rana.
New Delhi`s requests for access to Headley`s wife Shazia Gilani, his girlfriend Portia Peter, one more female friend are also yet to be acceded by Washington.
Sources also said talks were being planned between the Ministry of Home Affairs and the US Department of Justice to discuss a series of issues, including Headley and Rana.
"Not only Headley and Rana, we are talking to the US on a number of issues very seriously," sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days