Khurshid writes to Clinton seeking extradition of Headley, Rana
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid has written to his US counterpart Hillary Clinton requesting for extradition of Pakistani-American LeT terrorist and Mumbai terror accused David Headley and his accomplice Tahawwur Hussain Rana.
Khurshid has written the letter to Hillary for extradition of the two before their sentencing there in January, official sources said on Saturday.
According to sources, India is hopeful that the US would take a favourable decision on its request which was sent in the first week of November. New Delhi is awaiting a response from Washington.
During her visit here last month, US Under Secretary for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman had said India`s request for extradition of Headley was under consideration and a decision could be taken soon.
Though, India had limited access to 52-year-old Pakistani-American Headley, who recced the 26/11 Mumbai terror attack targets for the LeT but it has so far not been able to quiz his Pakistani-Canadian businessman friend Rana.
New Delhi`s requests for access to Headley`s wife Shazia Gilani, his girlfriend Portia Peter, one more female friend are also yet to be acceded by Washington.
Sources also said talks were being planned between the Ministry of Home Affairs and the US Department of Justice to discuss a series of issues, including Headley and Rana.
"Not only Headley and Rana, we are talking to the US on a number of issues very seriously," sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends