Khurshid`s talk of ‘control’ upsets EC
New Delhi: At a time when the Centre is embroiled in a bitter war with Anna Hazare over the Lokpal Bill, one of its top ministers has now landed in a soup following his adverse remarks on the Election Commission.
Reports, Wednesday, claimed that Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid’s recent comments suggesting that the Centre has some sort of administrative control over the Election Commission (EC) has not gone well with the poll body.
In an interview to a private TV news channel, Khurshid was quoted as saying that the central government possessed some sort of administrative control over the EC and cited the example of the Law Ministry signing crucial documents when one of its election commissioner went abroad to spend his vacations.
The minister made these remarks while referring to Team Anna’s reservation over the Centre gaining some sort of control over the CBI as per the new Lokpal Bill that has been cleared in the Lok Sabha.
The poll body has strongly reacted to Law Minister’s observations and described it as his “wishful thinking”.
"If the Law Ministry thinks it can control the Commission through foreign tours, it is sadly mistaken," a top ranking official in the EC was quoted as saying, adding, "Law Ministry serves just like a post-office...only the President approves EC foreign tours."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion