Kids with disabilities shouldn`t be asked certificates for admission, exam: NCERT
New Delhi: No child with disability should be asked to produce certificates either for admission, examination, getting support for facilities or scholarships as far as possible, NCERT has suggested.
It has also said that there should be exemption from the fee component in schools for children with disabilities whether studying in government or government-aided schools.
The premier education body which conducted a study in 27 states to evaluate the implementation of the centrally- sponsored scheme of Inclusive Education of the Disabled at the Secondary Stage (IEDSS) regretted that getting a disability certificate from the medical board is "sometimes a nightmare" for parents of children with disabilities.
"It is important that admission, retention, getting support facilities, scholarships, and full participation of children in all aspects of education, should not be subject to any criteria based on assessment tests, judgement by professionals and experts including psycho-medical certificates," NCERT said in its report.
Noting that removal of architectural barriers remains limited to creation of ramps and railings only, it said all the schools should be made architecturally barrier free irrespective of the enrolment and category of students with disabilities.
Pre-service and in-service teacher training need restructuring focusing on inclusive practices and strategies and Rehabilitation Council of India should take the initiative to prepare a complete database on number of special teachers trained each year, it said.
"States also need to develop better recruitment policies for appointing special educators," it said while observing that over 88 per cent of the teachers gave no response to the question regarding the strategies used for meeting the special education needs of the students in the classroom.
The report further suggested that the class size must include to a maximum of 30 students in general and a maximum of 20 in case the class includes children with special education needs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015