Killers of Laxmanananda Saraswati surrender
Rayagada (Orissa): A young Maoist couple, allegedly involved in the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati in Kandhamal and many other attacks, surrendered before the police here on Wednesday expressing desire to return to the mainstream, police said.
The ultras, identified as Surendra Vekwara (19) and his
wife Ruby (18), have admitted their involvement in several
crimes including Saraswati`s killing and Nayagarh mayhem last
year, Superintendent of Police A K Singh told reporters.
The Maoist couple, who hail from Gudari area of
Rayagada district, also told the police about their
involvement in a number of other incidents including the one
at R Udaygiri, the SP said adding that the two were active in
The ultras decided to give up the path of violence and
return to the mainstream as they were dienchanted with the
naxalite activities, police said.
As many as seven Maoists have given up arms and
surrendered before the police in the district during the last
one-and-a-half months in order to lead normal life in the
society, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire