Killers of Laxmanananda Saraswati surrender
Rayagada (Orissa): A young Maoist couple, allegedly involved in the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati in Kandhamal and many other attacks, surrendered before the police here on Wednesday expressing desire to return to the mainstream, police said.
The ultras, identified as Surendra Vekwara (19) and his
wife Ruby (18), have admitted their involvement in several
crimes including Saraswati`s killing and Nayagarh mayhem last
year, Superintendent of Police A K Singh told reporters.
The Maoist couple, who hail from Gudari area of
Rayagada district, also told the police about their
involvement in a number of other incidents including the one
at R Udaygiri, the SP said adding that the two were active in
The ultras decided to give up the path of violence and
return to the mainstream as they were dienchanted with the
naxalite activities, police said.
As many as seven Maoists have given up arms and
surrendered before the police in the district during the last
one-and-a-half months in order to lead normal life in the
society, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets