Killing a girl child is akin to killing a thousand saints: Sri Sri
Bangalore: Calling on the medical fraternity
to fight against pre-natal sex selection, Art of Living
Founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar quoting scriptures said that
killing a girl child is equal to killing a thousand saints.
"Even in our scriptures, women have always been given more
prominence as in many cases the Goddess name precedes the
God`s like in Lakshmi Narayana, Sita Ram or Rahde Shyam", he
said while addressing a workshop here today titled `Doctors
for Daughters: Faith in Action against Sex Selection`.
Urging doctors to lead in curbing the menace, he said that
when doctors propogate the message, it is often received as
the gospel truth by the common man. He said the doctors must
create awareness among those practising it for monetary gain.
The 2001 census which had seen the child sex ratio in
India fall so drastically from 962 females per 1000 males in
1981 to 945 in 1991 and 927 in 2001 had sent shockwaves. "It
showed us how deep the intolerance in this country is for half
of humanity", said Ena Singh, Representative, United Nations
"Not welcoming a girl child at birth today, you
automatically lose the right to welcome the daughter-in-law
later", said, Dr Adhao, President, Indian Medical Association.
The workshop organised by Art of Living Foundation along
with IMA and UNFPA, witnessed the participation of 70 doctors
across the country. A resolve to educate the youth and
reaching out to medical students was taken up at the workshop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player