Kim Davy could be extradited to India by July-end
New Delhi: The prime accused in the infamous
Purulia arms-dropping case, Kim Davy, is likely to be
extradited from Denmark by July-end and will serve his prison
term in India if proven guilty.
Government sources said Denmark has informed authorities
here that the 47-year-old Davy, alias Niels Holck, will be
extradited within next two to three months following
completion of the legal process and after India replies to
certain queries of the Nordic country.
Copenhagen has also conveyed to New Delhi that they would
have no objection to Davy serving his prison term in India if
convicted in a court of law here, sources said.
Denmark is believed to have asked India on the nature of
punishment likely to be awarded to its national if he is
convicted in the case.
Davy was arrested in Copenhagen on Saturday. He has
admitted to taking part in dropping 4.5 tonnes of weapons,
which include assault rifles, rocket launchers and missiles,
from a cargo plane onto a field in Purulia in 1995.
The CBI, which was probing the sensational case, had
secured an Interpol Red Corner Notice against Davy in 2002.
India had sent a huge dossier to Denmark the same year.
While a Briton and a five-man Latvian aircrew were
arrested by Indian authorities earlier, Davy managed to
The Danish Justice Ministry had said on Friday the
decision to extradite Davy was made after "a thorough reading"
of India`s extradition request. The ministry said Davy can
appeal the decision in a Danish court.
A prosecutor in Denmark said police had long known that
Davy was in Denmark but negotiations over his possible
extradition had dragged on for years.
Davy wrote an autobiography two years ago titled: "They
Call Me Terrorist" in which he recounts delivering the arms
during a flight that left from Bulgaria. Thailand was the
aircraft`s final destination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert