Kingfisher Airlines cancels flights as employees strike work
New Delhi/Mumbai: A large number of Kingfisher flights were cancelled monday as a section of the airline employees, including engineers and pilots, struck work to demand payment of salaries, pending since March.
Over 15 flights out of Delhi to places like Mumbai, Pune, Srinagar, Jammu, Imphal, Dehradun and Dharamsala were cancelled, airport sources said, adding several flights out of Mumbai and Bangalore were also cancelled.
In the wake of mass cancellations, aviation regulator DGCA said it would review Kingfisher`s operations and discuss the matter with officials of the Civil Aviation Ministry.
"We will review the situation of Kingfisher Airline," Director General of Civil Aviation Arun Mishra told PTI, adding that the situation facing the airline`s operations would be reported to and discussed with the Ministry.
Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh had recently said that Kingfisher`s flying license would be cancelled if it did not operate at least five aircraft out of its drastically slashed fleet of 14.
The engineers of Kingfisher went on a strike on Friday to protest non-payment of salaries since March, with a section of pilots and some other employees joining the agitation monday.
"Almost all Kingfisher aircraft are grounded due to the engineer`s strike....Some Mumbai-based pilots have also joined in the strike today," sources told PTI.
As per DGCA norms, an aircraft cannot take off unless its airworthiness is certified by the airline`s engineers.
Saddled with a huge debt of Rs 7,000 crore which it has not serviced since January, Kingfisher has currently been operating 14 planes out of its earlier fleet of 64.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today