Kingfisher Airlines cancels flights as employees strike work
New Delhi/Mumbai: A large number of Kingfisher flights were cancelled monday as a section of the airline employees, including engineers and pilots, struck work to demand payment of salaries, pending since March.
Over 15 flights out of Delhi to places like Mumbai, Pune, Srinagar, Jammu, Imphal, Dehradun and Dharamsala were cancelled, airport sources said, adding several flights out of Mumbai and Bangalore were also cancelled.
In the wake of mass cancellations, aviation regulator DGCA said it would review Kingfisher`s operations and discuss the matter with officials of the Civil Aviation Ministry.
"We will review the situation of Kingfisher Airline," Director General of Civil Aviation Arun Mishra told PTI, adding that the situation facing the airline`s operations would be reported to and discussed with the Ministry.
Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh had recently said that Kingfisher`s flying license would be cancelled if it did not operate at least five aircraft out of its drastically slashed fleet of 14.
The engineers of Kingfisher went on a strike on Friday to protest non-payment of salaries since March, with a section of pilots and some other employees joining the agitation monday.
"Almost all Kingfisher aircraft are grounded due to the engineer`s strike....Some Mumbai-based pilots have also joined in the strike today," sources told PTI.
As per DGCA norms, an aircraft cannot take off unless its airworthiness is certified by the airline`s engineers.
Saddled with a huge debt of Rs 7,000 crore which it has not serviced since January, Kingfisher has currently been operating 14 planes out of its earlier fleet of 64.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader