Kingfisher, SpiceJet plane collision averted
Chennai: A major mishap was averted at
the airport here when a Kingfisher aircraft was stopped from
taking off by an alert air traffic control just when a
SpiceJet plane was landing late Monday night, airport sources
said on Wednesday.
The Directorate General of Civil Aviation has launched
an inquiry into the incident, as Kingfisher officials said two
pilots of the Chennai-Coimbatore flight have been taken off
duty for an internal probe.
It was not clear how many passengers were on board the two
While the SpiceJet flight coming in from Hyderabad was
cleared for landing at around 8.40 PM, the Kingfisher aircraft
allegedly rolled off the taxi track on to the main runway,
poised to begin its take-off, the sources said.
This put both the planes on the same track which could
have led to an accident, they said, adding it was not clear as
to how the Kingfisher`s ATR turboprop aircraft had come into
the runway from the `waiting area` on the taxi track.
The ATC officials immediately asked the SpiceJet
pilots not to land and make a `go around` and the Kingfisher
crew to abort take-off and clear the runway, the sources said.
A Kingfisher spokesperson said, "We are enquiring into
this. As a matter of normal procedure, the pilots in question
have been de-rostered for purposes of the internal inquiry."
Sources in the DGCA said a sitting of the inquiry
would be held tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan