Kiran Bedi for holistic approach to deal with crimes against feminine gender
Amritsar: Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi on Saturday called for a holistic approach to deal with crimes against the feminine gender.
Bedi said there is a need to work on prevention first, and added that prevention will come when the police, the school principals and the politician area of the work together.
"You need to have a synergy of this. Just as a politician holds election meetings and asks for votes, so should he or she with the police officer and the school principals and the college principals and the community leaders address people together against the social evil of rape, which means instilling among the boys and courage among the girls. That is missing or that is not enough," Bedi told media here.
"Just as elections will come and they will start holding corner meetings, we should have already been holding corner meetings with the police, with the local politician elected could be a corporator, could be an MLA, could be an MP and the school principals so that there is a gender awareness amongst the parents, amongst the people to fight against this social evil," she added.
Bedi further said law has to be used in the cases of untoward incident against the feminine gender as a reactionary measure.
"It (law) is a reaction. We have to work first prevention and then if still it slips through the cracks then law takes its course," she added, when asked whether law was not enough to deal with such cases.
Incidents of rape and violence against the feminine gender have increased over the last few months.
A seven-year-old girl was raped on Thursday on the premises of a primary school being run by the North Delhi Municipal Corporation in the national capital`s Mangolpuri area. The incident took place during the serving of the midday meal.
In a gruesome incident, the three minor sisters were brutally murdered after being raped and later dumped into a well on February 20 at Murmadi village in Maharashtra`s Bhandara district.
A 23-year-old medical student was gang-raped and brutally assaulted by six men on a moving bus and latter thrown out along with her male friend in South Delhi area on December 16. The girl died from her injuries at a hospital in Singapore on December 29.
This deplorable incident had sparked massive outrage across the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'