Kiran Bedi for making CBI strong independent probe
Chandigarh: Former IPS officer and social activist Kiran Bedi on Saturday alleged the growing interference of the Union government in the functioning of the CBI had turned the premier investigating agency into a "caged parrot".
The Central government was also not enacting strong laws to enable the CBI function like an independent body, she told reporters here.
"The CBI has turned into a caged parrot owing to growing interference of the Centre in its functioning. The Centre is also not enacting tough laws to protect the agency from pulls and pressures," Bedi said.
She welcomed the apex court`s recent observation on the coal allocation scam probe, dubbing the CBI as "a caged parrot speaking in master`s voice".
"In the last three years, we have seen many corruption cases coming up. Now with the directions of Supreme Court, the government will have to bring a law to insulate the CBI from any external pressure," the social activist said.
The apex court had asked the Centre to come out with a law before July 10 to insulate CBI from external influence.
"Some CBI Directors were also responsible for weakening the probe agency as they had acted on the directions of the government for getting lucrative posts after retirement or out of fear," she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'