Kiran Bedi in a spot over her `small rape` remark
New Delhi: A controversy broke out on Sunday over activist Kiran Bedi`s remarks accusing media of playing up "small rape" cases, with an incensed National Commission for Women (NCW) demanding an apology from the former IPS officer.
The remarks were made when the former IPS officer accused media of ignoring corruption allegations against UPA ministers and not giving coverage despite erstwhile Team Anna giving evidence regarding it.
"Thankfully, media does not discuss it (allegations) a single time. Ask yourself. On a small rape case or assault which a low ranking police official commit, how you would discuss it.
"But against 15 ministers, Prashant Bhushan and Arvind Kejriwal had given the evidence but nobody from among you media hold any debate or discussion over the issue.
"Tell me, why you haven`t done that? Do you fear them?" she told reporters here on the sidelines of yoga guru Ramdev`s fast.
Terming Bedi`s remarks as "distressing", NCW member Nirmala Samant Prabhavalkar said the Commission will issued a notice to her tomorrow after taking suo motu cognisance of the remarks.
"Ms Bedi is a woman and a former police officer. She should have shown extreme sensitivity while talking about a serious crime like rape. There is nothing like a `small rape`.
A rape is a rape and should be viewed as a crime against humanity," Prabhavalkar said in a statement in Mumbai.
"It is distressing that Ms Bedi showed utter lack of sensitivity on a serious issue. It shows her feudal mentality. I demand an immediate apology from her," Prabhavalkar said, adding "the NCW has decided to take a suo motu cognisance of Ms Bedi`s statement. It will issue a notice to her on Monday."
After her remarks created a furore, Bedi tweeted that "deliberate wrong news" was being circulated to distract people from knowing what she said.
"I never said rape is small crime. I said when small ranked person commits rape crime he is hung while big ones go scotfree. It was about comparative punishment. Small officer (not small rape) involved in rape is hung while big ones go scotfree!" Bedi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani