Kiran Bedi recalls she was ‘shortest’ heading tall men on R-Day parade
New Delhi: Thirty-eight years ago on the same day, country`s first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi created history when she led Delhi Police contingent at the Republic Day parade.
Bedi, the then Assistant Superintendent of Police (Chanakyapuri) at the age of 26, became the first woman to lead a contingent during the prestigious parade in 1975.
"...I led the Delhi Police contingent in 1975. First time a woman led a male parade. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was overjoyed," Bedi wrote on twitter today.
The 64-year-old activist recalled the day and said she was the "shortest" heading tall men behind her in Delhi Police contingent. "And as I saluted PM, Mrs Gandhi stood up cheering! I saw her.
"PM Indira Gandhi was so happy seeing me lead Delhi Police parade in 1975 that she invited me for breakfast following morning," she said.
She said the then Delhi Police chief was not sure that as a woman she could lead. "I had to assert for it. And he was happy that I did," she said.
Recalling the parade, she said they practiced many months prior on Rajpath every morning in the biting cold.
"We marched all 14 Km from Vijay Chowk to Red Fort with sword in hand. Thousands cheered us all through. The most momentous day of my life," Bedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan