Kiran Bedi recalls she was ‘shortest’ heading tall men on R-Day parade
New Delhi: Thirty-eight years ago on the same day, country`s first woman IPS officer Kiran Bedi created history when she led Delhi Police contingent at the Republic Day parade.
Bedi, the then Assistant Superintendent of Police (Chanakyapuri) at the age of 26, became the first woman to lead a contingent during the prestigious parade in 1975.
"...I led the Delhi Police contingent in 1975. First time a woman led a male parade. Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was overjoyed," Bedi wrote on twitter today.
The 64-year-old activist recalled the day and said she was the "shortest" heading tall men behind her in Delhi Police contingent. "And as I saluted PM, Mrs Gandhi stood up cheering! I saw her.
"PM Indira Gandhi was so happy seeing me lead Delhi Police parade in 1975 that she invited me for breakfast following morning," she said.
She said the then Delhi Police chief was not sure that as a woman she could lead. "I had to assert for it. And he was happy that I did," she said.
Recalling the parade, she said they practiced many months prior on Rajpath every morning in the biting cold.
"We marched all 14 Km from Vijay Chowk to Red Fort with sword in hand. Thousands cheered us all through. The most momentous day of my life," Bedi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened