Kiran Bedi to take on Arvind Kejriwal in Delhi?
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi: With Arvind Kejriwal moving on to fight bigger battles after 49 days in power, the BJP seems to have sensed an opportunity to weaken him in his citadel, Delhi.
The BJP had narrowly missed out on power in the city state, last year, after the party fell short of majority mark owing to the spirited performance by the Aam Aadmi Party in the assembly polls.
While party leaders assert in public that the `Modi wave` would be enough to ensure a victory in the assembly elections, to be held after the new government is formed at the Centre, but in reality party think-tank is working hard to ensure a BJP victory.
At the centre of the new game plan is former super cop Kiran Bedi.
Reports claim that the BJP may project her as the chief ministerial candidate to challenge her one time associate Arvind Kejriwal.
Kiran Bedi does pack a punch and can effectively take on Kejriwal. Though she has aired her support for the BJP and Narendra Modi but she has also resisted pressure to formally join the party.
Earlier too, she had, reportedly, turned down offer to be party`s CM candidate and later the party ticket from New Delhi constituency. She had declined both offers.
The BJP may be hoping that Bedi would agree to come on board if Narendra Modi becomes the prime minister of the country.
However, given the level of infighting in the Delhi unit of the BJP, the party leadership will find it difficult to ensure that Bedi gets unflinching support from the party cadre.
The BJP had projected Dr Harsh Vardhan as the CM candidate last year. `Doctor saab`, as Vardhan is known among his supporters, is now contesting the Lok Sabha polls from Chandni Chowk and may become part of the Modi cabinet.
Another strong Delhi player Vijay Goel has already adjusted in the Rajya Sabha.
With major players out of the Delhi state politics, the party would be hoping that Bedi will get a clear field to take on Kejriwal with all her might.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan