Kirti Azad detained, questioned at London’s Heathrow airport
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: BJP MP and former cricketer who was a member of the 1983 World Cup winning squad, Kirti Azad, was on Saturday allegedly detained at the Heathrow Airport in London for two hours before being allowed to board a Delhi-bound flight.
According to one of his office assistants, Azad was allegedly detained as the security officials at the airport found his surname to be suspicious.
"He (Azad) informed us about being detained for two hours at the Heathrow after which he was allowed to board the flight back to India. He said that the authorities were suspicious about his last name `Azad`," his office assistant said.
There were also reports that the authorities found him carrying a bottle of liquid which Azad seemingly claimed to be contaminated water. However this fact could not be verified.
Azad was quoted by agencies as saying, "I was questioned 20 times and harassed on London airport, I was also asked to strip."
"I was carrying water bottle in which there was saunf & elaichi. Security officials at London airport suspected it of being explosives (sic)," he added.
He was released after brief detention and will return to India on Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police