Knife used to attack Indian driver may have been found: Police
Melbourne: The police have retrieved a
knife that may have been used to kill an Indian-origin taxi
driver in New Zealand`s Auckland city, as a key witness
described the incident as "horrific".
Hiren Mohini, 39, was found dead with multiple stab
wounds in his crashed car early yesterday and the police said
they believed he was attacked by a passenger.
Detective Senior Sergeant Hywel Jones said that the
knife had been sent for forensic examination and 30
investigators are hunting for the killer, according to the
New Zealand Herald newspaper today.
Police are also looking at CCTV footage where the
passenger, who is believed in to be in his 20s last seen
running toward Esplanade Rd after the crash, was picked up in
the city and carrying out door to door inquiries in Mt Eden
where the car rammed up against the fence.
"It was a frenzied attack... There are a large number
of witnesses to interview not only from the street where the
murder happened but also other locations such as the CBD where
a male suspect is believed to have hired the cab driven by the
deceased," Jones said.
Even as the police is actively searching for the
attacker, the witness who first rushed for help, said the
victim`s injuries were horrific.
The Herald quoted Adam Couper as saying that Mohini
was slumped over the steering wheel, bleeding from knife
wounds to his neck and chest, with his foot on the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui