Koda case: SC notice to ED on industrialist’s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday sought
response from the Enforcement Directorate and the Jharkhand
Government on the bail application of an industrialist
allegedly involved in the embezzlement of huge public funds
along with former Chief Minister Madhu Koda.
A bench of Justices Deepak Verma and K S Radhakrishnan
issued notice to the authorities on the application moved by
Vikash Kumar Sinha, who also alleged that he had been falsely
implicated in the case and that no action was being taken
against Koda and three former ministers under the Prevention
of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
Koda had resigned on August 23, 2008 as Chief Minister
amidst allegations that Rs 4,000 crore public money was
siphoned off by him and his alleged cronies.
Senior counsel R Venkatramani, appearing for Sinha,
submitted that the industrialist was falsely implicated by the
authorities under the Act and was in judicial custody since
November 2009, though he had no connection with the alleged
The petitioner submitted that though various criminal
cases under IPC, Prevention of Corruption Act and Money
Laundering Act were registered against the former Chief
Minister and then Cabinet Ministers Kamlesh Singh, Bhanu
Pratap Singh and Bandhi Tirkey, no chargesheet was filed and
they were not interrogated.
Sinha was arrested for the alleged offence and sent to
jail, Venkatramani told the court.
"What is your connection with the former Chief
Minister? Were you a middle man?" the bench asked the counsel
who submitted that he was merely an industrialist and was
being made a scapegoat in the case.
Following this, the apex court issued notice to the
authorities seeking their response within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you