Koda case: SC notice to ED on industrialist’s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday sought
response from the Enforcement Directorate and the Jharkhand
Government on the bail application of an industrialist
allegedly involved in the embezzlement of huge public funds
along with former Chief Minister Madhu Koda.
A bench of Justices Deepak Verma and K S Radhakrishnan
issued notice to the authorities on the application moved by
Vikash Kumar Sinha, who also alleged that he had been falsely
implicated in the case and that no action was being taken
against Koda and three former ministers under the Prevention
of Money Laundering Act, 2002.
Koda had resigned on August 23, 2008 as Chief Minister
amidst allegations that Rs 4,000 crore public money was
siphoned off by him and his alleged cronies.
Senior counsel R Venkatramani, appearing for Sinha,
submitted that the industrialist was falsely implicated by the
authorities under the Act and was in judicial custody since
November 2009, though he had no connection with the alleged
The petitioner submitted that though various criminal
cases under IPC, Prevention of Corruption Act and Money
Laundering Act were registered against the former Chief
Minister and then Cabinet Ministers Kamlesh Singh, Bhanu
Pratap Singh and Bandhi Tirkey, no chargesheet was filed and
they were not interrogated.
Sinha was arrested for the alleged offence and sent to
jail, Venkatramani told the court.
"What is your connection with the former Chief
Minister? Were you a middle man?" the bench asked the counsel
who submitted that he was merely an industrialist and was
being made a scapegoat in the case.
Following this, the apex court issued notice to the
authorities seeking their response within four weeks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened