Koh-i-Noor diamond in royal crown is ours: British PM to India
Amritsar: Since he does not believe in `returnism`, visiting British Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday said that Britain would not hand back a giant diamond his country forced India to give in the colonial era.
The 105-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond was set in the crown of the current Queen Elizabeth`s late mother at that time and is now on display in the Tower of London.
Speaking on the third and final day of a visit to India, Cameron told reporters on Wednesday: "I don`t think that`s the right approach...It is the same question with the Elgin Marbles," referring to the classical Greek marble sculptures that Athens has long demanded be given back.
"The right answer is for the British Museum and other cultural institutions to do exactly what they do, which is to link up with other institutions around the world to make sure that the things which we have and look after so well are properly shared with people around the world.”
"I certainly don`t believe in `returnism`, as it were. I don`t think that`s sensible."
One of the world`s largest diamonds, some Indians - including independence leader Mahatma Gandhi`s grandson - have demanded its return to atone for Britain`s colonial past.
Britain`s then colonial governor-general of India arranged for the huge diamond to be presented to Queen Victoria in 1850.
If Kate Middleton, the wife of Prince William, who is second in line to the throne, eventually becomes queen consort she will don the crown holding the diamond on official occasions.
When Elizabeth II made a state visit to India to mark the 50th anniversary of India`s independence from Britain in 1997, many Indians demanded the return of the diamond.
Cameron is keen to tap into India`s economic rise, but says he is anxious to focus on the present and future rather than "reach back" into the past.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town