Kolkata gang-rape victim`s family to meet President today, seek CBI probe
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: The parents of the Kolkata gang-rape victim are expected to meet President Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday demanding a probe by the Central Investigation Agency into the case.
The 16-year-old victim from West Bengal was gang-raped twice in October. She passed away on December 31 at a hospital here after allegedly being burnt by some men known to the rapists.
The gang-rape took place in Madhyamgram town, near Kolkata, on two successive days in October. Six suspects have so far been arrested in the case.
The victim, in her dying-declaration made before police officers, had said that two men poured kerosene and set her afire on December 23. While the duo was arrested the next day, the police revealed her statement only on January 2.
The case brought criticism for the Mamata Banerjee government as as per reports, the police had attempted to cremate the girl sooner than her family wanted. The opposition alleged the police move was an attempt to bury the truth that the girl was given no security after twin sexual assault, which led to her murder.
The family is demanding a CBI probe as they believe the police is trying to hush-up the matter. "What are they investigating? The incident happened on December 23, but the forensic team is yet to visit the house and collect samples," he had told reporters last week.
The father added that he feared for the safety of his family.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'