Kolkata Metro to name stations after Rafi, Kishore
Kolkata: Kolkata Metro railway stations named will be named after Sikh Guru Guru Gobind Singh, poet Mohammad Iqbal and legendary playback singers Mohammed Rafi and Kisohre Kumar, Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee announced here Wednesday.
"We will name stations after Mohammed Rafi and Kishore Kumar. A lot of Sikhs live in Kolkata. To respect their sentiments, we will christen one of the stations after Guru Gobind Singh," she said while speaking at the foundation stone laying ceremony of a new Metro line from Joka in South 24 Parganas district to B.B.D. Bagh in the heart of the city.
Banerjee also said that other stations will be named after former Indian soccer great Goshtho Pal and singer Mohini Chowdhury.
"We will also have one after Mohini Chowdhury. We will also name a station in the city`s sports hub Maidan area after Goshtho Pal. Mohammed Iqbal, who gave us the immortal song `Sare jahan se achcha`, will also be honoured in the same way," she said.
Thirteen stations are slated to come up on the 16.72 km stretch, being built at a cost of Rs.2,619.02 crore.
The railway minister said the other seven stations will be named after seeking the opinion of the local people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical