Kota bridge collapse: Toll reaches 30, NHAI launches probe
Kota (Rajasthan): Rescuers Sunday recovered seven
bodies from the rubble of an under-construction bridge which
collapsed over a river near here, pushing the death toll to 30
even as NHAI set up a probe team while attributing human error
for the deadly accident.
Seven more bodies were extricated from the debris, IGP
(Kota) Rajiv Dasot said, adding there was possibility of some
more bodies buried under the concrete.
A four-member expert committee had been set up to probe
the collapse of the partially-constructed bridge which gave
way over river Chambal on Thursday, a top NHAI official told
"The collapse is prima facie a case of human negligence
with little possibility of any technical fault or the design,"
Subash Patel, Director in the Technical Board of the National
Highway Authority of India, said.
Virtually giving a clean chit to the two construction
companies -- Gammon India and Hyundai, he said these would
carry on the work as "we express our trust and confidence in
The NHAI had announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh for
each bereaved family, he said.
Terming the accident as the "worst tragedy" in recent
memory, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot said he had
directed all departments, engaged in construction work, to
maintain quality standards.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Strong Indo-US ties to strengthen both economies: White House
- First look of Emraan Hashmi's maiden home production 'Captain Nawab' out! - Pic inside
- Despite public outcry over images of man carrying dead wife, Odisha gives clean chit to hospital
- WOAH! Pakistani journalist silences Piers Morgan after he taunts Indians using Sachin Tendulkar's example
- Bolivia deputy interior minister killed after being kidnapped by miners