Krishna Chandra Pant: An old school politician
New Delhi: Known for his erudition and persuasive manners, Krishna Chandra Pant belonged to the old school of politicians whose administrative acumen earned him plum responsibilities in Union Government and prominent role in Parliament.
Son of a freedom fighter and former UP chief minister and union home minister Govind Ballabh Pant, KC Pant was known for his negotiating skills that late prime minister Indira Gandhi chose him as the chief negotiator to work out a deal with the protagonists of the separate Telangana movement in the 1970s.
As minister of State for Home Affairs, he was successful in evolving an agreement that led to `Mulki Rules` that gave prominence to recruitment of locals in jobs in the region in Andhra Pradesh government service.
Pant, who died in his Delhi residence this morning, was also made the interlocutor by the then Prime Minister AB Vajpayee for Kashmir during the NDA government.
Born in 1931 in Nainital, Pant was a post graduate in science and joined Congress to enter politics.
Pant first got elected to Lok Sabha in 1962 and was reelected in 1967, 1971 and 1989. Between 1978 and 1984, he was elected to Rajya Sabha and was the Leader of the House during 1979-1980 when Charan Singh became Prime Minister.
During his political career spanning over 40 years, Pant had held the portfolios of Finance, Defence, Steel and Heavy Engineering, Irrigation and Power and Energy.
After his long association with Congress, he switched to BJP in 1998 when it emerged as a ruling party and Vajpayee made him Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission in 2000. His wife Ila contested on a BJP ticket from Nainital in 1998 and won the poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title