Krishna defends denial of visa to Musharraf
Mandya (Karnataka): India on Friday said time was
not conducive to grant visa to former Pakistan President
Pervez Musharraf to visit the country.
"Time is not conducive at this point of time to grant visa
to the former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf. The
government, after weighing all options and taking into
consideration various issues, took a decision to deny the
visa", External Affairs Minister S M Krishna told reporters
Krishna, on a private visit to his home district, however,
refused to be drawn into further discussion on the issue.
Musharraf, who wanted to visit India to attend a seminar
this weekend, was not given visa with official sources stating
the decision was taken after the Home Ministry had expressed
reservations over his visit due to his recent anti-India
The government, according to the sources, also did not
want convergence of elements opposed to the present government
in Pakistan on Indian soil for their activities.
Musharraf, living in self-exile in Britain, was invited to
attend a seminar by the Young Presidents Organisation, an
international outfit involving influential business leaders in
which he was among the guest speakers.
Asked about U.S. President Barack Ombama`s recent visit to
India, Krishna said it has helped the country on various
issues including its on-going effort to get a permanent seat
He noted the support Obama extended for India`s bid for a
permanent UN Security Council seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical