Krishna defends denial of visa to Musharraf
Mandya (Karnataka): India on Friday said time was
not conducive to grant visa to former Pakistan President
Pervez Musharraf to visit the country.
"Time is not conducive at this point of time to grant visa
to the former Pakistan president Pervez Musharraf. The
government, after weighing all options and taking into
consideration various issues, took a decision to deny the
visa", External Affairs Minister S M Krishna told reporters
Krishna, on a private visit to his home district, however,
refused to be drawn into further discussion on the issue.
Musharraf, who wanted to visit India to attend a seminar
this weekend, was not given visa with official sources stating
the decision was taken after the Home Ministry had expressed
reservations over his visit due to his recent anti-India
The government, according to the sources, also did not
want convergence of elements opposed to the present government
in Pakistan on Indian soil for their activities.
Musharraf, living in self-exile in Britain, was invited to
attend a seminar by the Young Presidents Organisation, an
international outfit involving influential business leaders in
which he was among the guest speakers.
Asked about U.S. President Barack Ombama`s recent visit to
India, Krishna said it has helped the country on various
issues including its on-going effort to get a permanent seat
He noted the support Obama extended for India`s bid for a
permanent UN Security Council seat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!