Krishna in Pashupatinath; enquires about safety of priests
Kathmandu: Four months after two Indian
priests were assaulted by Maoists at the Pashupatinath temple
here, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna today visited the
world famous shrine during which he enquired about the safety
of the Indian pujaris and returned satisfied.
Krishna, who met Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal and
held talks with Deputy Premier Sujata Koirala yesterday, said
he had taken up with the Nepalese leadership the issue of
safety of Indian priests and others who come here for
pilgrimage to Pashupatinath temple and had been reassured on
"I talked to them (the priests who were attacked). They
said they are protected and treated well and feel quite
comfortable," he told reporters after visiting the temple
along with Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao and other Indian
Two priests -- Girish Bhatt and Raghavendra Bhatt
belonging to Krishna`s home state Karnataka -- were severely
thrashed and their clothes and sacred thread cut by dozens of
Maoists in September last year. The priests were badly injured
in the attack in the incident, which had evoked concern and
sharp reaction from the Indian government.
"They are supremely safe," Krishna, who is here on a
three-day visit, said when asked whether he was satisfied by
the security measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video