Krishna meets Bogollagama, discusses resettlement issue
Phuket: Amid India`s desire to see early rehabilitaion of nearly three lakh Tamil civilians
displaced due to the war, External Affairs Minister S M Krishna Wednesday met his Sri Lankan counterpart Rohitha Bogollagama and is understood to have discussed the issue.
Krishna and Bogollagama met in this resort island on the sidelines of the ASEAN Foreign Ministers Summit and are believed to have discussed the post-war situation.
Ahead of the meeting, Krishna told reporters that India wants Sri Lanka to accord top priority to the resettlement of nearly 3 lakh Tamil civilians displaced due to
the civil war there and expressed readiness to help Colombo in this regard.
"We are in close touch with the Sri Lankan Government. They have said that they will resettle most of the displaced civilians in 180 days. We hope Sri Lanka will be able to do
that," Krishna said.
He said India was ready assist Sri Lanka in resettling the Tamil civilians displaced due to the 30-year-old civil war.
"They have promised us that they will resettle the displaced civilians soon," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees