Krishna opens $10 mn Indian embassy complex in Beijing
Beijing: Pitching for stronger India-China relations, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday formally inaugurated the Indian embassy`s new $10 million complex here which has been built with sandstone.
"A modern and expansive chancery clearly reflects our expectations of ties with China," Krishna, who is on a three-day visit to China, said at the inauguration ceremony.
Spread over 13,500 sq metres, the new building complex brings all the offices of the Indian embassy under one roof and is made of sandstone and other materials imported from India.
Designed by Indian architect Raj Rewal, the building also houses a cultural complex and a 100-seater auditorium.
The embassy complex has also been bolstered with new security features after an extensive review by Indian security officials.
"As the only two nations with a population of more than a billion each, the foremost priority for both of us is to raise the quality of life of our people," Krishna said in his speech at the ceremony.
"A stronger India-China economic relationship can make a direct contribution to that goal," he said, adding that each of the two nations has capabilities from which the other can greatly benefit.
"Indeed, as neighbors, the stability and predictability that we provide to the other is itself of great value," he stressed.
In separate meetings with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, State Councillor Dai Bingguo, who is also China`s Special Representative for boundary talks with India, and Zhou Yongkang, a powerful member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China, Krishna stressed the need for building stronger India-China relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'