Krishna opens $10 mn Indian embassy complex in Beijing
Beijing: Pitching for stronger India-China relations, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday formally inaugurated the Indian embassy`s new $10 million complex here which has been built with sandstone.
"A modern and expansive chancery clearly reflects our expectations of ties with China," Krishna, who is on a three-day visit to China, said at the inauguration ceremony.
Spread over 13,500 sq metres, the new building complex brings all the offices of the Indian embassy under one roof and is made of sandstone and other materials imported from India.
Designed by Indian architect Raj Rewal, the building also houses a cultural complex and a 100-seater auditorium.
The embassy complex has also been bolstered with new security features after an extensive review by Indian security officials.
"As the only two nations with a population of more than a billion each, the foremost priority for both of us is to raise the quality of life of our people," Krishna said in his speech at the ceremony.
"A stronger India-China economic relationship can make a direct contribution to that goal," he said, adding that each of the two nations has capabilities from which the other can greatly benefit.
"Indeed, as neighbors, the stability and predictability that we provide to the other is itself of great value," he stressed.
In separate meetings with Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, State Councillor Dai Bingguo, who is also China`s Special Representative for boundary talks with India, and Zhou Yongkang, a powerful member of the Standing Committee of the Communist Party of China, Krishna stressed the need for building stronger India-China relations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Zaira Wasim controversy: 'Dangal' star's posters burnt in Kashmir valley