Krishna thanks Zardari on Sarabjit
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister SM Kirshna thanked Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, who on Tuesday pardoned Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, paving the way for his return home after over 20 years of incarceration in a foreign country.
Krishna conveyed his thanks to the Pakistan President for commuting Sarabjit`s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Pakistan`s Law Ministry has already sent a proposal for the release of Sarabjit to the Interior Ministry, and the Indian might be able to walk out of prison soon.
Zardari`s move to act positively on Sarabjit`s mercy petition came closely after elderly Pakistani virologist Khaleel Chisti was released from an Ajmer jail and reunited with his family in Pakistan.
The 49-year-old Sarabjit, convicted and sentenced to death for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab in 1990 that killed 14 people has maintained his innocence and said that his was a case of "mistaken identity".
Zardari has directed authorities to release him if he has completed his prison term, official sources said today.
Sarabjit is currently being held at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter