Krishna thanks Zardari on Sarabjit
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister SM Kirshna thanked Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, who on Tuesday pardoned Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, paving the way for his return home after over 20 years of incarceration in a foreign country.
Krishna conveyed his thanks to the Pakistan President for commuting Sarabjit`s death sentence to life imprisonment.
Pakistan`s Law Ministry has already sent a proposal for the release of Sarabjit to the Interior Ministry, and the Indian might be able to walk out of prison soon.
Zardari`s move to act positively on Sarabjit`s mercy petition came closely after elderly Pakistani virologist Khaleel Chisti was released from an Ajmer jail and reunited with his family in Pakistan.
The 49-year-old Sarabjit, convicted and sentenced to death for alleged involvement in a string of bombings in Punjab in 1990 that killed 14 people has maintained his innocence and said that his was a case of "mistaken identity".
Zardari has directed authorities to release him if he has completed his prison term, official sources said today.
Sarabjit is currently being held at Kot Lakhpat Jail in Lahore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez