Krishna Tirath writes to PC on rising crime
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath has written to Home Minister P Chidambaram over the rising cases of crimes against women in the country.
"I have written to the home minister to take serious action in view of the rising number of crime cases against women, not just in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh but also across the country," Tirath told reporters on Thursday.
"I have also asked him to write to the state governments on the issue," she added.
Saying that it was traumatic to get to know through the media about atrocities against women, the minister called for immediate filing of first information reports (FIR) and speedy trials.
"FIRs in all cases should be immediately recorded. Any delay, dilatory tactics, soft pedalling or procrastination must invite exemplary penal action. For instance, any police official not writing the FIR in the cases of atrocities against women must be suspended forthwith," she said.
Tirath also said that she will write to Law Minister M. Veerappa Moily, urging for fast track courts to try rape cases.
"Hearings in such cases must be on day-to-day basis. Instant redressals of cases on day-to-day basis at the judicial and administrative level will have a telling effect and improve the environment in favour of women, providing them due security and status," the minister added.
The comments came after five rape and molestation cases were reported in Delhi within 48 hours, from July 1-3.
Several rape and molestation incidents have also been reported from neighbouring Uttar Pradesh. These include a 14-year-old being murdered at a police station and another instance of a girl being blinded while resisting a rape attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof