Krishna Tirath writes to PC on rising crime
New Delhi: Women and Child Development Minister Krishna Tirath has written to Home Minister P Chidambaram over the rising cases of crimes against women in the country.
"I have written to the home minister to take serious action in view of the rising number of crime cases against women, not just in Delhi and Uttar Pradesh but also across the country," Tirath told reporters on Thursday.
"I have also asked him to write to the state governments on the issue," she added.
Saying that it was traumatic to get to know through the media about atrocities against women, the minister called for immediate filing of first information reports (FIR) and speedy trials.
"FIRs in all cases should be immediately recorded. Any delay, dilatory tactics, soft pedalling or procrastination must invite exemplary penal action. For instance, any police official not writing the FIR in the cases of atrocities against women must be suspended forthwith," she said.
Tirath also said that she will write to Law Minister M. Veerappa Moily, urging for fast track courts to try rape cases.
"Hearings in such cases must be on day-to-day basis. Instant redressals of cases on day-to-day basis at the judicial and administrative level will have a telling effect and improve the environment in favour of women, providing them due security and status," the minister added.
The comments came after five rape and molestation cases were reported in Delhi within 48 hours, from July 1-3.
Several rape and molestation incidents have also been reported from neighbouring Uttar Pradesh. These include a 14-year-old being murdered at a police station and another instance of a girl being blinded while resisting a rape attempt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them