Krishna to represent India at UN climate change summit
New York: External Affairs Minister SM Krishna will represent Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the UN summit on Climate Change being hosted by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday.
The UN summit is part of Ban`s campaign to bring about a fair and ratifiable green house gas reduction agreement at this year`s Climate Conference in Copenhagen, Denmark.
Krishna who arrived here Sunday evening to participate in the 64th session of the UN General Assembly will lead the Indian delegation at the General Debate and will deliver a speech Sept 26.
On the margins of the UNGA, Krishna will also have bilateral meetings with his counterparts from some countries, including possibly Pakistan.
Krishna will also participate in the 14th Summit of the Group of Fifteen (G-15) Sep 25 preceded by ministerial meeting a day earlier.
The other events along the margins of the UNGA at which the Indian delegation will participate include an IBSA (India, Brazil, South Africa) ministerial meeting by Brazil Monday, a G-5 meeting Tuesday and a ministerial meeting of the Group of Friends of the UNSG on Myanmar Sept 23.
Krishna will also participate in the Commonwealth foreign ministers` meeting and the ministerial meeting on terrorism, a BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) luncheon meeting by Brazil and a high level meeting on 60th anniversary of establishment of United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees Sep 24.
This will be followed by the fifth India-GCC (Gulf Cooperation Council) Political Dialogue and Group of 77 (G-77) Ministerial Meeting Sep 25 and an informal Meeting of SAARC Council of Ministers the next day. A ministerial Meeting of the Group of Friends of the Alliance of Civilizations is also scheduled that day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...