Kudankulam: `Off-site nuke exercise an absurd drama`
Tirunelveli (TN): An anti-nuclear front opposing the Kudankulam Nuclear power plant on Sunday described as "absurd drama" the offsite emergency exercise conducted by senior officials and scientists of KNPP at Nakkanery village, about seven km from the plant site.
People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy wondered why the exercise was held in a village of just 300 people and not in more densely populated hamlets closer to the Kudankulam site and suspected it might have been done so that the 100 illiterate women left behind after the men went for work could be "manipulated".
"If 100 villagers in Nakkanery are trained, how do others in the 16 km or 30 km radius and beyond get information and experience to face a nuclear disaster?" PMANE convenor Pushparayan pointed in a press release.
He said Collector R Selvaraj had claimed in a release that the exercise was carried out in three stages as prescribed in the Emergency Plan. But the release had no mention of it, he said.
The PMANE convenor demanded to know why local public representatives such as MP, MLA, civil society members, prominent citizens and local media not invited for the exercise.
"Do nuclear disasters affect a large area around the plant or just one or two specific villages? How come the exercise is carried out in an isolated village and not throughout the project affected area?" he asked.
The `Offsite Emergency Exercise` conducted yesterday is a biannual programme and one of the mandatory steps prescribed by the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board before commissioning of the first unit at the plant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks