Kudankulam reactor to become operational in another month
Chennai: The first reactor at Kudankulam
Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP), with a capacity of 1000 MW, will
be "fully operational in another month or so," a senior
"We are conducting test run for all operations and have
found the operation satisfactory," site Director of KKNPP
Dr Kasinath Balaji told PTI over phone.
The site is in the process of testing all its operation
including its four diesel generators, assembling the reactor
with dummy fuel, conducting hydro test of the primary and
secondary systems, coolants tested and has submitted the
review to Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).
"We are presently in the process of raising the
temperature in the reactor. We have submitted all the
necessary documents to AERB. Once we get the clearance from
AERB, we will go for hot run," Balaji said.
"Since it is first of a kind, there is some delay in the
process. By another month and a half, we shall start
producing," he said, when asked about the delay in starting
The unit, located in Tirunelveli district, was originally
supposed to begin commercial operations in December 2007. The
unit will use Russian technology, reactor and fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends