Kudankulam reactor to become operational in another month
Chennai: The first reactor at Kudankulam
Nuclear Power Plant (KKNPP), with a capacity of 1000 MW, will
be "fully operational in another month or so," a senior
"We are conducting test run for all operations and have
found the operation satisfactory," site Director of KKNPP
Dr Kasinath Balaji told PTI over phone.
The site is in the process of testing all its operation
including its four diesel generators, assembling the reactor
with dummy fuel, conducting hydro test of the primary and
secondary systems, coolants tested and has submitted the
review to Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).
"We are presently in the process of raising the
temperature in the reactor. We have submitted all the
necessary documents to AERB. Once we get the clearance from
AERB, we will go for hot run," Balaji said.
"Since it is first of a kind, there is some delay in the
process. By another month and a half, we shall start
producing," he said, when asked about the delay in starting
The unit, located in Tirunelveli district, was originally
supposed to begin commercial operations in December 2007. The
unit will use Russian technology, reactor and fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea