‘Kudankulam unit I may be commissioned any time’
Kolkata: Phase I of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant in Tamil Nadu might be commissioned any time now, principal scientific adviser to the government R Chidambaram said on Saturday.
"Phase I of the nuclear power plant may be commissioned any time now after the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) is satisfied with the tests done by Nuclear Power Corporation," Chidambaram told reporters on the sidelines of an event at Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) in Kolkata.
Dispelling the notion that nuclear power plants were unsafe, Chidambaram, a nuclear scientist closely associated with the Pokhran nuclear test in 1974, said that India had a clean safety record.
"The common person will have difficulty in understanding the probabilistic safety assessment analysis. Nuclear power is safe and green," he said.
With the phenomenon of climate change affecting the lives of millions, he said that nuclear power was a good alternative to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
He said that out of the 66 nuclear reactors which were being constructed across countries at present, seven were in India.
"In India, they take absolute care to make everything safe," Chidambaram said.
Commissioning of the unit was delayed largely due to anti-nuclear protests doubting safety of such power plants.
The power plant was built with Russian technology having two 1000 MW reactors.
Chidambaram said he had urged ISI to carry out statistical data analysis of climate change with regional forecasting modules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble