Kulgam encounter: Slain ultra turns out to be LeT commander
Srinagar: The militant killed in an encounter with security forces in Kulgam district on Tuesday has turned out to be a top commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), police said Wednesday.
The ultra was killed in a gunfight at Kujjan village in Kulgam district, 75 km from here.
The slain militant was initially identified as Showkat Ahmad Tak, a resident of Panzgam in Tral area of Pulwama district, they said.
When Tak`s family members were called to a police station for taking the body, they informed cops that the deceased was not their kin.
During further investigations, it turned out that the slain militant was Shabir Ahmad Mir, a resident of Yaripora in Kulgam district, they said.
Mir was a top Lashkar commander and an `A` category ultra who was carrying a cash reward on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan