Kulgam encounter: Slain ultra turns out to be LeT commander
Srinagar: The militant killed in an encounter with security forces in Kulgam district on Tuesday has turned out to be a top commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), police said Wednesday.
The ultra was killed in a gunfight at Kujjan village in Kulgam district, 75 km from here.
The slain militant was initially identified as Showkat Ahmad Tak, a resident of Panzgam in Tral area of Pulwama district, they said.
When Tak`s family members were called to a police station for taking the body, they informed cops that the deceased was not their kin.
During further investigations, it turned out that the slain militant was Shabir Ahmad Mir, a resident of Yaripora in Kulgam district, they said.
Mir was a top Lashkar commander and an `A` category ultra who was carrying a cash reward on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional