Kulgam encounter: Slain ultra turns out to be LeT commander
Srinagar: The militant killed in an encounter with security forces in Kulgam district on Tuesday has turned out to be a top commander of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), police said Wednesday.
The ultra was killed in a gunfight at Kujjan village in Kulgam district, 75 km from here.
The slain militant was initially identified as Showkat Ahmad Tak, a resident of Panzgam in Tral area of Pulwama district, they said.
When Tak`s family members were called to a police station for taking the body, they informed cops that the deceased was not their kin.
During further investigations, it turned out that the slain militant was Shabir Ahmad Mir, a resident of Yaripora in Kulgam district, they said.
Mir was a top Lashkar commander and an `A` category ultra who was carrying a cash reward on his head.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir