Kurien likely to be Rajya Sabha deputy chairman
New Delhi: After successfully managing the elections of the president and the vice president, the next challenge for the government is to get its candidate elected to the vacant post of the Rajya Sabha deputy chairman, said government sources Wednesday.
Congress member P.J. Kurien is the front-runner for the post, said sources in the United Progressive Alliance, indicating the party did not want to give it to the allies.
The post is lying vacant after the term of K. Rahman Khan ended in April.
Vice President Hamid Ansari, most likely to be elected for a second term, is expected to announce the schedule for election of the deputy chairman of the Rajya Sabha, said sources.
Following the voting for and result of the vice president`s election Aug 7, Ansari is expected to take oath of office Aug 13.
Sources said Ansari, in his capacity as the Rajya Sabha chairman, will then announce the schedule for the election of his deputy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!