Kurien unanimous choice for post of Dy Chairman
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is set to become the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
Kurien was the unanimous choice for the job with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley filing nomination in his favour.
Friday was the last day of filing nomination for the August 21 election.
Kurien`s election will be the first occasion where the ruling alliance and the Opposition will be jointly deciding a candidate after contest in both Presidential and Vice Presidential elections.
Kurien succeeds K Rahman Khan, whose term expired recently.
"Kurien is a nice, amiable person and enjoys good relations with leaders from various parties. We are not likely to put up a candidate against him," a senior BJP leader said.
The Left and other parties were reportedly not interested in fighting the election as the numbers do not add up and putting up a contest for the sake of doing so is not favoured by many. The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The name of Tariq Anwar from the NCP was also doing rounds sometime back when Sharad Pawar`s party had expressed reservations over the issue of cohesion and coordination in the ruling alliance.
Interestingly, among the proposers and seconders of Kuriens` candidature, were Trinamool Congress leaders Mukul Roy and Derek `O Brien, whose party had kept the Congress on tenterhooks till the last moment during the Presidential elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi