Kurien unanimous choice for post of Dy Chairman
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader P J Kurien is set to become the Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
Kurien was the unanimous choice for the job with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Leader of the Opposition Arun Jaitley filing nomination in his favour.
Friday was the last day of filing nomination for the August 21 election.
Kurien`s election will be the first occasion where the ruling alliance and the Opposition will be jointly deciding a candidate after contest in both Presidential and Vice Presidential elections.
Kurien succeeds K Rahman Khan, whose term expired recently.
"Kurien is a nice, amiable person and enjoys good relations with leaders from various parties. We are not likely to put up a candidate against him," a senior BJP leader said.
The Left and other parties were reportedly not interested in fighting the election as the numbers do not add up and putting up a contest for the sake of doing so is not favoured by many. The ruling Congress has a comfortable majority with support from the SP and the BSP.
The name of Tariq Anwar from the NCP was also doing rounds sometime back when Sharad Pawar`s party had expressed reservations over the issue of cohesion and coordination in the ruling alliance.
Interestingly, among the proposers and seconders of Kuriens` candidature, were Trinamool Congress leaders Mukul Roy and Derek `O Brien, whose party had kept the Congress on tenterhooks till the last moment during the Presidential elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27