Labour ministers` meet on setting up of 1500 ITIs soon
New Delhi: The Labour and Employment
Ministry will soon convene a meeting of state labour ministers
to expedite the process of setting up of the proposed 1,500
modern ITIs across the country keeping in mind the growing
shortage of skilled hands in the job market.
Sources in the Ministry said the meeting will be called
soon to "expedite the process of setting up of these modern
ITIs as well as the proposed skill development centres" which
will be set up under public-private partnership (PPP) mode.
Minister of State for Labour Harish Rawat, attending a
function today said, out of the proposed 50,000 skill
development centres, about 5,000 would be set up soon under
the PPP mode.
These centres will impart 450 modular courses on skill
development to about a million students in the next five
Rawat informed this at the function which saw the signing
of an MoU between Manipal Education and UK-based City & Guilds
to jointly impart skill development programmes under an
initiative called `India Skills` across the country.
As per the agreement, the programmes will be imparted
through a network of franchisee centres across the country.
"Our target is to have presence in as many as 50 districts in
the next three years," MD of Manipal Education Anand Sudarshan
According to the Labour Ministry, the current shortfall
of skilled hands in the country is about 20 to 30 per cent.
Sudarshan said they will offer a wide range of industry
oriented programmes starting with retail, hospitality, banking
and proficiency in English language.
The Government has already formulated a national policy
on skill development under which it has proposed to set up
modern ITIs and skill development centres across the country
especially in unserviced areas.
The policy envisages training one million workforce in
the next five years and one million people every year
The Government has also undertaken an initiative to
establish 11 advanced training institutes for trainers under
the PPP mode.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan