Lack of promotion for Dalits in promotion `big lacuna`: Brinda
Madurai: CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat has said lack of reservation for Dalits in promotion in jobs is a `big lacuna` in the legal framework and demanded a constitutional amendment to ensure it is done.
"It is shameful that reservation in promotion in jobs for Dalits is being stalled. The ruling elite wants Dalits to remain bonded in social and economic terms," she said.
Demanding passing of the reservation bill, she alleged that government jobs are being privatised and there is no reservation in private companies, which ought to be brought in that sector. The new economic policies were eliminating even the basic minimum rights secured by Dalits, she said.
Karat was addressing a state-level conference on "Dalit women`s Right to land" here last evening.
She said the issue of land reforms and land distribution had been pushed to the background due to such policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet