Lady teacher stabs Bihar MLA to death
Purnia: In a shocking development, BJP MLA from Purnia, Raj Kishore Keshari, was on Tuesday stabbed to death by a lady who had earlier accused him of rape.
The lady, identified as Rupam Pathak, walked into Keshari’s Sipahi Tola residence here, this morning, at the pretence of wanting to meet him and as soon as she came within the attacking distance, she pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the stomach, damaging his spleen.
The profusely bleeding MLA was rushed to a nearby
hospital but he succumbed to his injuries.
51-year-old Keshari was a four-time legislator from Purnia. He was a popular leader, and was known to have a clean track record. His family is said to be in the liquor business.
40-year-old Rupam is a teacher by profession and runs a school in Purnia city. She had, in the last week of May, accused Keshari of raping her and filed an FIR against him.
But the police had not yet taken any action against the MLA – probably the reason she decided to take the drastic step of murdering Keshari.
Following the attack on Keshari, visitors assembled at the MLA`s residence caught hold of Rupam and thrashed her severely.
She was shifted to the hospital under police protection. The medical superintendent of the hospital later said that she is out of danger and that her condition is stable.
The attack has put a question mark on the security provided to the MLAs in Bihar.
Shocked at the news of Keshari`s death, Chief Minister
Nitish Kumar directed the DGP to thoroughly review the
security of all legislators. He also ordered the DGP to
constitute a high-level probe team and ensure frisking of
visitors of the legislators.
The Chief Minister also appealed to the people and
supporters of Keshari in Purnia to maintain peace as the
guilty would soon be brought to justice. DIG Purnia will head the probe.
Deputy CM Sushil Kumar Modi held a press conference and said that the state government will investigate the matter in its entirety.
He defended Keshari and tried to play down the rape allegation saying that the lady in question had a troubled family life and pointed out that she had even filed a case against her father-in-law in connection with a family dispute.
He said that prima facie it appears that the lady was trying to blackmail the MLA.
Modi also said that he will be heading to Purnia for last rites tomorrow.
State BJP president C P Thakur condemned the killing
of the Keshari and said the case must be probed thoroughly.
"We will like a thorough probe into the incident,"
He said, "In his (Keshari`s) death, we have lost a
young and dedicated soldier of BJP... we pray to God to give
enough strength to Keshari`s family and followers to tide over
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Dredging of Brahmaputra soon to stop floods, erosion: Sonowal
- You may be ignoring these signs of a stroke! - Watch video
- Delhi schoolboy run over by van that dropped him home
- Will pursue agenda of political resolution, says Mehbooba Mufti
- Section 144 imposed in Agartala after clashes over separate tribal state, 20 injured