Lahore jail where Bhagat Singh was held in ruins
Lahore: The prison, where Shaheed-e-Azam Bhagat Singh was incarcerated and executed, is in a dilapidated condition with broken doors and rough flooring, a far cry from the promise made by a top lawmaker in Pakistan to build a memorial for the martyr.
Bhagat Singh and his comrades-in-arms Sukhdev and Rajguru, were hanged on 23rd March, 1931 in Lahore central jail, used by the British to detain revolutionary freedom fighters.
"In 2007, the birth centenary year of Bhagat Singh, the then Governor of Pakistan`s Punjab province promised to build a memorial in Lahore but the promise has not been
fulfilled, the legendary martyr`s brother Jagmohan told reporters over phone from Ludhiana.
The trio was detained for two years, from April 8, 1929 to March 23, 1931, at the jail, on charges of murdering British officer J P Saunders and throwing bombs in the Central
Two years ago, Pakistan authorities had turned down the demand of an Indian NGO to name Shadman Chowk in Lahore after Bhagat Singh. The `phansighat` (gallows) where Bhagat Singh was executed in the Kot Lakhpat Jail, has since been demolished.
Director of the Institute of Peace Studies had requested the then President General Pervez Musharraf on the eve of the 100th birth anniversary of Bhagat Singh that the
Chowk be named after him.
The jail is in ruins, with broken doors and rough flooring showing the utter neglect of the place where the three revolutionaries had laid down their lives. The government of Punjab province has done nothing on the assurance of a memorial, 65-year old Jagmohan said.
"We are demanding that the jail should be restored and all the freedom fighters along with Bhagat Singh be honoured for having laid down their lives fighting the British empire," Jagmohan said.
Bhagat Singh`s family has also demanded that the Bradlaugh Hall in Lahore be converted into a museum where his personal memorabilia confiscated by the British, be displayed.
"The Hall is where Bhagat Singh performed drama and cultural activities," Jagmohan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India