Lajpat Nagar bomb blast case: Chronology
New Delhi: 16 years after the Lajpat Nagar bomb blast killed 13 people, the Delhi High Court on Wednesday acquitted two alleged JKIF militants, who had been awarded capital punishment, and commuted death penalty of the third to life imprisonment. Following is the chronology of events:
May 21, 1996 - 13 people killed in bomb blast at Lajpat Nagar`s Central Market.
Aug 26, 1996 - Police file charge sheet in Delhi court against the 10 accused including a woman. Police also give list of 201 witnesses.
Nov 20, 2000 - Court frames charges of murder, attempt to murder, anti-national activities and under the Explosives Act. The accused claim innocence.
Sep 1, 2009 - District judge transfers the case to court of Additional Sessions Judge S P Garg.
Sep 7, 2009 - Hearing begins in ASJ Garg`s court.
March 30, 2010 - Court defers verdict.
April 8, 2010 - Court convicts six accused and acquits four.
April 13, 2010 - Court hears arguments on quantum of sentence.
April 22, 2010 - Court awards death penalty to Mohd Naushad, Mohd Ali Bhat and Mirza Nissar Hussain, awards life sentence to Javed Ahmed Khan. One convict gets seven years` imprisonment. Lone woman convict gets jail term of four years and two months.
July 10, 2010 - Four convicts file an appeal in Delhi High Court challenging the trial court`s conviction order.
October 12, 2011 - The High Court reserves order on their appeal.
Nov 22, 2012 - The High Court reduces the sentence of Mohd Naushad from death penalty to life imprisonment, while it acquits Mirza Nissar Hussain and Mohd Ali Bhat. It, however, upholds life sentence of Javed Ahmad Khan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets