Lakhs take holy dip on `Somvati Amavasya`
Haridwar: Nearly 28 lakh people, including
pilgrims and sadhus, Monday took a holy dip in river Ganga here
on the occasion of Somvati Amavasya during the ongoing Maha
Kumbh mela, officials said.
"Nearly 28 lakh pilgrims have so far taken holy dip on
the occasion of Somvati Amavasya in Kumbh area today," said
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma.
The sadhus belonging to Niranjani Akhara reached at
Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing ghat, at 1100 hrs in the form
of a procession and took holy dip in river Ganga, he said,
adding they were followed by sadhus of Joona Akhara.
Other ghats in Haridwar and Rishikesh were also seen
flooded with pilgrims since early morning.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made for
today`s royal bath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail