Lakhs take holy dip on `Somvati Amavasya`
Haridwar: Nearly 28 lakh people, including
pilgrims and sadhus, Monday took a holy dip in river Ganga here
on the occasion of Somvati Amavasya during the ongoing Maha
Kumbh mela, officials said.
"Nearly 28 lakh pilgrims have so far taken holy dip on
the occasion of Somvati Amavasya in Kumbh area today," said
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma.
The sadhus belonging to Niranjani Akhara reached at
Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing ghat, at 1100 hrs in the form
of a procession and took holy dip in river Ganga, he said,
adding they were followed by sadhus of Joona Akhara.
Other ghats in Haridwar and Rishikesh were also seen
flooded with pilgrims since early morning.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made for
today`s royal bath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi