Lakhs take holy dip on `Somvati Amavasya`
Haridwar: Nearly 28 lakh people, including
pilgrims and sadhus, Monday took a holy dip in river Ganga here
on the occasion of Somvati Amavasya during the ongoing Maha
Kumbh mela, officials said.
"Nearly 28 lakh pilgrims have so far taken holy dip on
the occasion of Somvati Amavasya in Kumbh area today," said
DIG (Kumbh) Alok Sharma.
The sadhus belonging to Niranjani Akhara reached at
Har-Ki-Pauri, the main bathing ghat, at 1100 hrs in the form
of a procession and took holy dip in river Ganga, he said,
adding they were followed by sadhus of Joona Akhara.
Other ghats in Haridwar and Rishikesh were also seen
flooded with pilgrims since early morning.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made for
today`s royal bath.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi