Lal Bahadur Shastri remembered on death anniversary
Tashkent: The 47th death anniversary of former Indian prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, who passed away here, was observed in the Uzbek capital on Friday.
A simple ceremony was held at the Shastri`s statue here where Uzbek citizens including school children, Indologists, representatives of local authorities and officials of the Embassy of India were present, the Indian embassy in Tashkent said in a press statement.
Addressing the gathering, Ambassador of India to Uzbekistan A Gitesh Sarma recalled Shastri`s contribution to the country and world peace besides his association with Tashkent.
According to the statement, Sarma said that Shastriji`s teachings and his policies were relevant even today.
Shastri, 61, had died in Tashkent on January 11, 1966.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok