Lal Bahadur Shastri remembered on death anniversary
Tashkent: The 47th death anniversary of former Indian prime minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, who passed away here, was observed in the Uzbek capital on Friday.
A simple ceremony was held at the Shastri`s statue here where Uzbek citizens including school children, Indologists, representatives of local authorities and officials of the Embassy of India were present, the Indian embassy in Tashkent said in a press statement.
Addressing the gathering, Ambassador of India to Uzbekistan A Gitesh Sarma recalled Shastri`s contribution to the country and world peace besides his association with Tashkent.
According to the statement, Sarma said that Shastriji`s teachings and his policies were relevant even today.
Shastri, 61, had died in Tashkent on January 11, 1966.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog