Lalli could face suspension in a couple of days : Soni
New Delhi: Controversial Prasar Bharati
CEO B S Lalli could face suspension "in a day or two" in the
wake of Presidential nod for a Supreme Court inquiry into
charges against him.
"The option of his suspension is under consideration,"
Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni told
reporters when asked about the future course of action against
Lalli who is facing charges of irregularities.
She said that the file regarding Lalli came to her
ministry from the PMO late last evening. "The Ministry is
looking at the Prasar Bharati Act and the next step will be as
per the provision in the Act," she said.
Asked when a decision would be taken on the issue of
Lalli`s suspension, she said, "it will be out in a day or
The President has given her assent for a Supreme Court
inquiry into charges of financial mismanagement against
Lalli, setting in motion the process for his removal from the
The assent had come on a reference made by Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh as required under the Prasar Bharti
According to the Act, the Chairman or a Member of
Prasar Bharti can only be removed by an order of the President
on the ground of misbehaviour after the Supreme Court holds an
inquiry following a reference to it.
Pending inquiry, the chief executive officer can be
placed under suspension as per the provisions of the Act.
Lalli, who assumed the CEO`s office in December 2006,
was indicted by the Central Vigilance Commission which accused
him of breach of Parliamentary privilege, giving undue favours
to some broadcast companies and financial mismanagement.
The controversial 1971 batch IAS officer of UP cadre,
Lalli, 63, has been having a feud with the Prasar Bharti Board
on running the organisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie