Lalu for making voting compulsory for LS, Assembly polls
Patna: Extending support for Gujarat government`s move to make voting compulsory in local body polls, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Monday said it should be extended to Lok Sabha and assembly polls too.
"Making voting compulsory in the elections to urban bodies is a stand that deserves to be supported," Prasad told reporters when his attention was drawn to Gujarat Assembly passing the landmark bill in this connection.
"There has been a gradual decline in the voting percentage in elections to the Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha," he said, adding it would be worthwhile if voting was made compulsory for elections to Parliament and state legislatures.
"It (making voting compulsory) will be in the larger interest of the country, democracy and parliamentary norms," the RJD chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars