Lalu for making voting compulsory for LS, Assembly polls
Patna: Extending support for Gujarat government`s move to make voting compulsory in local body polls, RJD supremo Lalu Prasad on Monday said it should be extended to Lok Sabha and assembly polls too.
"Making voting compulsory in the elections to urban bodies is a stand that deserves to be supported," Prasad told reporters when his attention was drawn to Gujarat Assembly passing the landmark bill in this connection.
"There has been a gradual decline in the voting percentage in elections to the Lok Sabha and Vidhan Sabha," he said, adding it would be worthwhile if voting was made compulsory for elections to Parliament and state legislatures.
"It (making voting compulsory) will be in the larger interest of the country, democracy and parliamentary norms," the RJD chief said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed