Lalu pitches for Hamid Ansari for president
New Delhi: RJD, which is extending support to UPA from outside on Monday pitched for Vice President Hamid Ansari as the next President of the country saying "he is the natural claimant to the highest post".
"He (Ansari) is the natural claimant to the highest post...He should be promoted from Vice President to President," RJD President Lalu Prasad told PTI.
Prasad said though his party, with only handful of Parliamentarians, does not have a crucial role in the election of President, it would like to see Ansari in the top post.
RJD has four MPs in Lok Sabha, who include Prasad himself, and 2 in Rajya Sabha after Jabir Husain and Rajniti Prasad, who had hit the headlines by tearing a copy of Lokpal Bill in the winter session last year, retired on March 30.
RJD has 22 MLAs in the 243-member Bihar assembly and is the main opposition there. The party has 7 legislators in Jharkhand assembly.
Lalu Prasad said he has not held any consulation either with Congress or any other party on the name of Ansari for Presidential poll. But if Congress and UPA allies support the candidature of Ansari, RJD would go with them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars