Lalu pitches for Hamid Ansari for president
New Delhi: RJD, which is extending support to UPA from outside on Monday pitched for Vice President Hamid Ansari as the next President of the country saying "he is the natural claimant to the highest post".
"He (Ansari) is the natural claimant to the highest post...He should be promoted from Vice President to President," RJD President Lalu Prasad told PTI.
Prasad said though his party, with only handful of Parliamentarians, does not have a crucial role in the election of President, it would like to see Ansari in the top post.
RJD has four MPs in Lok Sabha, who include Prasad himself, and 2 in Rajya Sabha after Jabir Husain and Rajniti Prasad, who had hit the headlines by tearing a copy of Lokpal Bill in the winter session last year, retired on March 30.
RJD has 22 MLAs in the 243-member Bihar assembly and is the main opposition there. The party has 7 legislators in Jharkhand assembly.
Lalu Prasad said he has not held any consulation either with Congress or any other party on the name of Ansari for Presidential poll. But if Congress and UPA allies support the candidature of Ansari, RJD would go with them, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials