Lalu pleads jewellers` case with Finance Minister
New Delhi: RJD president Lalu Prasad on Thursday led a delegation of agitating jewellers to Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee demanding roll back of excise duty on unbranded jewellery and hike in import duty on gold.
Mukherjee has assured the delegation of "positive" action soon, Prasad said after the meeting.
Accompanied by former Union minister Prem Chand Gupta, along with the delegation of gold traders from Delhi and Bihar, Lalu put forward the demand for rollback of the duties.
"The jewellers who are on strike for the past 20 days are suffering huge losses...their demands for roll back of excise duty on unbranded jewellery and increasing import duty on gold from 2 percent to 4 percent are legitimate," Prasad said.
RJD chief said the Finance Minister gave the delegation a patient hearing and assured "positive" action soon.
He said Mukherjee assured the delegation that the matter will be discussed in the ongoing Budget session of Parliament when it resumes after a break, and the issue will be settled amicably.
All India Sarafa Association general secretary Surendra Jain was also part of the delegation.
Jewellers in various parts of the country have been on a strike since March 17 to protest the hike in import duty on gold and imposition of excise duty on unbranded jewellery. The proposal was announced during Mukherjee`s Budget speech for 2012-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui