Lalu Prasad framed in fodder scam case, will come out clean: Digvijay Singh
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh came to the rescue of RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav and expressed his hope that the tainted Bihar leader would prove his innocence.
Expressing his dismay after the CBI Court verdict against Yadav, Digvijay Singh told agencies: "Sad that he is found guilty, he has been framed, sure he`ll provide evidences & prove his innocence (sic)."
“He has been a trusted and an old partner of the Congress Party,” he added.
CBI-designated court on Monday convicted Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav and other 44 accused, in the fodder scam case.
Yadav has been sent to Birsa Munda central jail. The quantum of punishment will be announced through video-conferencing on October 03.
The fodder scam also known as "Chara Ghotala" involved the siphoning of funds from the Bihar Government treasury. The alleged theft spanned over several years, and many Bihar state government administrative and elected officials across multiple administrations were allegedly engaged in it.
The fodder scam was unearthed in Bihar in 1996 when Lalu Prasad was the Chief Minister of the state. He had resigned from the post in 1997 after a court issued an arrest warrant against him in connection with one of the cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda