Lalu to Congress: Why entertain Anna?
New Delhi: Days after his party MP tore a copy
of Lokpal Bill in Rajya Sabha, RJD chief Lalu Prasad on Thursday criticised the government for "entertaining" Anna Hazare and
asserted that he would protest any attempt to disturb the
established Constitutional structure.
He, however, remained ambiguous over the stand that his
party would adopt when the Lokpal Bill again comes up in the
Budget Session, saying it would be decided at that time.
"Constitution has defined role for all institutions --
Legislature, Judiciary and Executive. How can I be a mute
spectator if someone tries to disturb this structure? There is
a conspiracy to push the country towards the wrong direction,"
He was responding when asked about the strong protest by
his party to the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill in the Rajya Sabha
on December 29 when the legislation could not be passed. His
party colleague Rajniti Prasad tore a copy of the Bill,
creating a flutter in the House at the peak of debate.
Insisting that the protest by his party colleague had
nothing to do with the fate that the bill met that day, the
RJD chief rejected allegations of a "deal" with the government
to sabotage the passage of the crucial legislation.
While pressing his point, he flayed the government, which
his party is supporting from outside, for paying too much
attention to Hazare and other sections of the civil society.
"In the name of fighting corruption, one cannot play with
Constitutional structure... Congress is responsible for this
(mess)... Why did the Congress entertain Hazare and other
sections of civil society? Corruption won`t end this way," he
said making clear his objections to consideration of the views
of Team Anna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore