Land Acquisition Bill approved by Cabinet: CP Joshi
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 18:42
  
New Delhi: A bill seeking to provide for acquisition of land for industrial projects, certain provisions of which were earlier opposed to by Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, has been approved by the Cabinet, a Union minister said on Tuesday.

"As far as the Land Acquisition Bill is concerned, it has already been approved by the Cabinet. Now, the question when will it be introduced in Parliament has to be addressed by the Parliamentary Affairs Ministry," Rural Development Minister C P Joshi told reporters here.

Joshi, who presented the quarterly report of his ministry's performance, however, did not say when the Cabinet approved the Land Acquisition (Amendment) Bill 2007, certain provisions of which Banerjee had expressed reservations about.

Banerjee, whose party is the second largest constituent of the UPA, had almost walked out of a Cabinet meeting raising serious objections over certain provisions of the bill.

She had opposed a major provision in the bill which provides for private developers to acquire 70 per cent of land for a proposed industrial project directly from farmers and land owners. The remaining 30 per cent is to be acquired by the state government.

It was not immediately clear if the provisions opposed to by Banerjee were part of the bill approved by the Cabinet.

Banerjee, who was in the forefront of agitations in Singur and Nandigram in West Bengal on the same issue, had strongly demanded penal provisions to check use of money and muscle power by private developers while acquiring land from farmers.

Bureau Report


First Published: Tuesday, September 15, 2009, 18:42


comments powered by Disqus